The 90-10 Rule

Posted on

I’m awfully glad that I am not a prominent politician; a world leader or government official. First of all, I love what I do and couldn’t imagine doing anything else. But beyond that, leaders of people have a gigantic responsibility. Today’s first reading from Wisdom 6 gives us a glimpse of what God expects from those in authority. I certainly wouldn’t want the gig. We must always remember to pray for those who have it.

Today’s Gospel from Luke 17 is about 10 lepers who meet up with Jesus as He enters their village. Jesus tells them to go and show themselves to the priest. On the way, they are all healed of their leprosy. Only one of them returned to thank Jesus and give glory to God. Jesus says, “Ten were cleansed, were they not? Where are the other nine?” He then tells the one, “Stand up and go; your faith has saved you.”

Ever hear of the 80-20 rule? It says the 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people. Perhaps the story we read today gives us the 90-10 rule. Only 10% of people are thankful to God for all His wondrous deeds and bother to thank Him. The other 90%? Probably victims of the entitlement mentality, the victim mentality or some other such nonsense. I really hope this 90-10 rule is not true. If it is, let us always be a part of the 10% who give thanks. In all things.

Father, forgive us for those times when we are not grateful for your many gifts, for the healing touch of Jesus. Help us to always be thankful. Amen.

Today’s Readings

A Minute in the Church makes a great Christmas gift! Get all four volumes today for someone you love for just $15 at


Leave a comment

All blog comments are checked prior to publishing

Hello You!

Join our mailing list